Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Two Days at Campbell's Cove

(Lori writing) Our stay at Campbell's Cove Campground has been pleasant and well-timed. Three nights and two full days. 
Day One: We deemed this first day as a full day's rest with no riding. It was a hot day, not a cloud in the sky, and we were very glad to not be riding in that heat. The campground is right on a lovely stretch of beach on the north shore, so we took advantage of that by dipping in the ocean a few times. Cold, and also entertaining, as we saw several crabs and even a lobster! Mind you, that freaked me out a little, fearing for my toes, so I kept my flip flops on.



Our camp neighbors kindly did a grocery run for us, including a pound of fresh sole and some broccoli, which we promptly cooked up for dinner. There is also a pound of fresh scallops waiting to be cooked up, with some bacon, for our last night here.
In the evening we went to a local ceilidh, which can be found all around the island. A ceilidh (pronounced kay-lee...oh those Gaelics!) is a weekly gathering of musical talent, mostly locals, who sing and/or play guitar, fiddles, tin whistles, bagpipes, piano, or whatever. Anything goes, and anyone can walk in and play, so your experience can vary from week to week, or region to region. For $4-5, you get an evening of entertainment plus coffee/tea, biscuits and jam.

Day Two: Exploring day! (switching to Bram for a moment) I'm really not a morning person. However, some of the best photo opportunities happen at dusk and at dawn. I have plenty of chances to shoot at dusk, but I generally have a hard time making it out of bed at dawn, let alone getting to any place I want to shoot. Camping solves one of these problems; I can roll out of bed and have beautiful vistas awaiting my camera. Some self discipline on my part (coupled with fitful sleep in the tent) overcame the other, and I was out on the beach before the sun rose- I don't remember exactly, but around 5:00 am. I shot a lot of images, both in terms of different compositions and variations on a theme. One of the fun parts of shooting along an ocean is that there can be huge changes from one second to the next, purely based on the interplay of waves and beach. I shot as much this dawn as I had for the entire week prior, and I'm sure I've god some good keepers in the mix. (/ Bram)
Bram wanted to do some photo exploring at East Point, and I had the energy and interest to go along. We packed a simple lunch and hopped on our bikes. The weather was overcast and started raining partway through. Still, we thought it quite nice and cool, and the rain didn't dampen our adventures at all.  The lighthouse was unremarkable, so we carried on to the singing sands beach. Very pretty beach, with big dunes, not a person in sight (it was raining after all!), and when you slide your feet through the sand, it squeaks. There we sat in the drizzle, eating our simple lunch, feeling pretty great. I feel like a survivalist!  40 km day trip in the drizzle rain. I'm curious how many of our friends would enjoy doing something like that with us? Comment if you are one of them! Funny thing is, that I'm often referred to as a bit of a princess...by myself included...but my shiny crown has dirt and a few dings, and I'm happy as a clam! (a bit more Bram here) After getting back to camp, our bikes were a mess. I spent the rest of the afternoon taking the chains and rear wheels off our bikes, painstakingly cleaning the grease off each cog and link, putting them back together, and oiling them up again. It sure worked up an appetite! Here are the aforementioned scallops:(/ Bram)

Tomorrow, back on the road.  

4 comments:

  1. Great pics again, especially the sunset one on your last post. Could you have caught the lobster or a crab to cook and eat? I'm not sure if you need a special license for that, but I sure would have tried if it was legal. Maybe you could have used Lori's toes for bait :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not my toes!!! The lobster was way too fast. One of the crabs was missing a leg, so I felt sorry for him, even if I could have caught him. But we were told that Tina season opened yesterday. Lots of boats out, and a tour that was offered. I'm sure you would have liked that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking you meant to type "tuna" season. I saw a fishing show on tuna fishing there. The have HUGE tuna there, like 1000 pounders... unreal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, tuna, silly autocorrect :) I think it would have been fine to catch the critters we saw there. In Brudenell, there was a section of water with a warning sign that the local sea life was deemed not suitable for human consumption though.

      Delete